Gonzaga takes down Bishop Ireton in final regular season game

By John Ourand

With under a minute of play left, Gonzaga’s Prentiss Hubb silenced the home crowd with a one-handed slam dunk to halt the Bishop Ireton comeback and confirm an Eagles victory.

This was just one of the many ways Gonzaga ruined Bishop Ireton’s senior night, As it defeated Bishop Ireton 61-50 at in its last regular game of the season.

In the first quarter, both teams looked evenly matched. Anwar Gill was starting in place of Chris Lykes, who didn’t even dress in preparation for the playoffs. Multiple defensive stops and a Joseph Hamer offensive rebound and basket gave Bishop Ireton an early 5-3 lead,

hat would end up being its only lead of the game. 3-pointers from Prentiss Hubb and Myles Dread helped put Gonzaga on top, and at the end of the quarter the Eagles led 15-9.

Gonzaga expanded its lead in the second quarter. A consecutive tip-in and a 3-point play from Eddie Scott helped Gonzaga’s start the quarter well. Its hot start got even hotter when Hubb threw up an alley-oop to Scott to ignite the Eagles fans who took the trip to Alexandria, Virginia .

On the Ireton end, a three from Hamer and free throws from Jordan Beckett kept them in it, and at the half Gonzaga led 32-23.

In the third quarter, it looked as if the Eagles would have an easy victory. 3-pointers from Dread and Michael Myers gave Gonzaga a 15-point lead in the middle of the quarter. The Eagles were also able to sub in players like Brian Doolan, Allin Blunt and Will Turgeon who don’t usually get a lot of minutes, but made good use of their time tonight. Bishop Ireton stayed quiet in the third, and even had to use two of its timeouts. At the end of the third quarter Gonzaga was up 48-31.

In the fourth quarter, Bishop Ireton went on multiple runs to start the comeback. It went on a 5-0 run midway through the quarter to cut its deficit to eight points. A 3-0 run later in the quarter cut the deficit to three.

However, with 1:16 left on the clock Gonzaga was up by eight points and forced Bishop Ireton to start fouling. Dread took advantage of this and hit three free throws in the final minute of play. Those shots, with Hubb’s late game dunk, helped the Eagles come out on top 61-50.

With Chris Lykes out to get rest for the playoffs, Anwar Gill took his spot in the starting rotation. Gill was subbed out late in the first quarter, and had a trainer looking at his right ankle. He came back in the second quarter, but was taken out after less than a minute of play and didn’t return for the rest of the game. His ankle was taped up and he walked with a limp, but coaches confirmed it was only a tweak. With the playoffs coming up they’d rather be safe than sorry.

With this being its last regular season game, Gonzaga prepares to head to the playoffs being one of the top ranked teams in the WCAC. As of now they don’t know who their first opponent is yet but they’re willing to play anyone, including the next top ranked Paul VI and DeMatha.

Edited by Max Marcilla

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.